Skip to content Skip to footer

Niko’s Palace

Niko’s Palace was built in the 1890s, based on the project of architect Salzmann, and belonged to Prince Niko Dadiani‑Mingrelski of Samegrelo. For this reason, it is referred to as Niko’s Palace. The building is a two‑storied, hotel‑type structure made of brick, featuring a large ballroom. According to sources, such a spacious ballroom did not exist elsewhere in the entire Transcaucasus during that period.

 

Interior Layout and Courtyard Features of Niko’s Palace

On both the first and second floors, a central corridor runs along the entire length of the building, with rooms of various purposes arranged on either side. Inside, there are both central and auxiliary staircases connecting to the second floor. The ballroom opens onto an open veranda supported by arched brick buttresses. The front, rear, and side sections of the palace are adorned with semi‑wooden balconies recessed into the second floor. The front balconies and veranda overlook a wide field, while the rear balconies face the botanical garden planted by Ekaterine Chavchavadze. Both palaces were equipped with well‑constructed water supply and sewage systems.

The Dadiani Court Church

Next to the Queen’s Palace stands the Dadiani Court Church, which was built during the reign of Levan V Dadiani. According to the inscription on the church, construction began in 1825 and was completed in 1830.

 

Main Entrance and Courtyard of the Palace

The main entrance of the palace begins with a central staircase carved from solid limestone blocks, connecting to the second floor. In the rear part of the palace, there are auxiliary staircases made of stone and wood. The external architectural decoration of both floors blends harmoniously, with the second floor serving as a natural continuation of the first. In the front arched section of the lower floor, the damaged clay wine jars of the original Dadiani cellar, buried in the ground, are still preserved. The inner courtyard is enclosed by a stone‑brick wall with large iron gates. Within the yard lies a small, beautiful pool made of carved limestone, which was likely once adorned with a fountain.

 

Tariffs

Museum opening hours: 10:00 – 17:30, every day, except Monday.

Adult

17 ₾

15 viewers are allowed in a group.

Pupil / student

2 ₾

15 viewers are allowed in a group.

Tour guide services

35 ₾

45 ₾ - in a foreign language (Russian and English)

This site is registered on wpml.org as a development site. Switch to a production site key to remove this banner.